Can I work under a student visa?

Can I work under a student visa?

On Behalf of Coughlon Law Firm, PLLC. | Mar 23, 2020 | US Immigration Law

Can I work under a student visa?

Student visas are primarily used for academic purposes, but these visas also allow the student to work within the United States. There are three primary types of student visas with different limitations on student employment. Working without permission and violating the conditions of the visa is one way a student can face deportation charges.

F-1 Student Visa

The traditional type of student visa, an F-1 visa is used to study at an accredited U.S. college or university. It may also be used to study English at an English language institute. The F-1 Visa demands very specific conditions for student employment. The student typically may not work off campus during their first academic year. After the first year, they may be allowed to work off-campus in curriculum training or practical training.

M-1 Student Visa

This visa is for those students undergoing vocational studies or training that wouldn’t fit the typical school environment. Religious education – such as training for priesthood – may fall under this type of visa. M-1 visa students may engage in employment that involves practical training only after they have completed their studies.

J-1 Student Visa

This type of Visa is used in exchange programs at both the high school and university level. This type of visa isn’t reserved for just students either. It can be used in exchange programs of teachers, physicians, camp counselors, etc. Depending on the occupation, the visitor may be allowed to work in the United States for educational purposes.

Special circumstances

Some foreign students face severe economic hardship and are in need of special employment. Often their situation is judged on a case by case basis as they cooperate with their designated school official. It is difficult to avoid deportation charges in a foreign country, especially when the student is unfamiliar with the language. Consulting an experienced attorney in immigration defense can help the student avoid losing their visa.






531 E. Thomas Rd., Suite 101
Phoenix, AZ 85012

Connect With Us

    Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Site Map