Seeking a Green Card through adjustment of status

Seeking a Green Card through adjustment of status

On Behalf of Coughlon Law Firm, PLLC. | May 8, 2020 | US Immigration Law

It is not so unusual these days for a U.S. citizen to fall in love with someone who is a citizen of another country. These couples may marry in the U.S., and after their marriage, will want to take the steps necessary to make the foreign-national spouse a lawful permanent resident.

One option if the foreign-national spouse is already present in the U.S. is to seek an “adjustment of status.” Through this process, the foreign-national spouse may obtain a Green Card without first having to go back to their former country of residence to complete the processing of their visa. The following are the steps that will need to be taken to obtain an adjustment of status.

First, the foreign-national spouse must meet the eligibility requirements to apply for a Green Card. Their spouse or someone else may need to file an immigrant petition on their behalf. It may also be necessary to determine if the appropriate visa is available to the foreign-national spouse.

After this, a form I-485 will need to be filed. The foreign-national spouse will need to have an appointment at their Application Support Center. It is possible that the foreign-national spouse will have to attend an interview and respond to any requests for more evidence if necessary. Foreign-national spouses can continue to check their case status while it is being processed. Finally, a decision will be rendered and sent to the foreign-national spouse.

This post is for educational purposes only. It does not contain legal advice. Those who need more information or want to apply for an adjustment of status may want to seek professional legal help on the matter.






531 E. Thomas Rd., Suite 101
Phoenix, AZ 85012

Connect With Us

    Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Site Map